For Healthcare Providers
E-LEARNING AND VIDEOS
- LINKS TO E-LEARNING PACKAGES:
Policy and Procedures
- Management of Patients with Tracheostomy at Austin Health
- Changing a Tracheostomy Tube
- Emergency Response to Accidental Decannulation
- Humidification of Inspired Gases in Patients with Tracheostomy
- Management of patients with a minitracheostomy
- Mandatory Tracheostomy Equipment & Emergency Management Poster
- Planned Tracheostomy Decannulation Procedure
- Recognising and Managing a Blocked Tracheostomy Tube
- Suctioning via the Tracheostomy
- The Blueline Ultra Suctionaid Tracheostomy Tube
- Tracheostomy cuff management
- Tracheostomy related bleeding
- Tracheostomy Stoma Care
- Use of Heat and Moisture Exchangers (HMEs)
- Use of Passy-Muir Valve (PMV) in Spontaneously Breathing Patients
- Montgomery Cannula
- Tracheostomy Care Changes In Response To Suspected or Confirmed Covid-19
Clinical instruction sheets and posters
- Passy Muir Valve (PMV) in-line with Ventilator
- Portex Blue-Line Ultra Tracheostomy Tube with an Inner Cannula
- Portex UniPerc adjustable flange Tracheostomy Tube
- Schedule of Passy-Muir Valve (PMV) Use in Spontaneously Breathing Patients
- Use of Bivona Tight To Shaft (TTS) Tracheostomy Tube
- Use of Inner Cannula in Bivona Tight To Shaft (TTS) and Bivona Air-Cuf Tracheostomy Tubes
- Use of the Portex Suctionaid Tracheostomy Tube
Tracheostomy sizing chart
Emergency tracheostomy management poster
- Download The Emergency Tracheostomy Management Poster
- Accompanying publication: Graham JM, Fisher CM, Cameron TS, Streader TG, Warrillow SJ, Chao C, Chong CK, Ellard L, Hamoline JL, McMurray KA, Phillips DJ. Emergency tracheostomy management cognitive aid. Anaesthesia and intensive care. 2021 Apr 22:0310057X21989722.
GTC webinar series featuring trams (watch the free recordings)
- Telehealth Innovations – Best Practices and Emerging Paradigms for COVID-19 and Beyond (October 3, 2020)
- Innovative Approaches to Tracheostomy Education of Healthcare Workers During COVID-19 (August 28, 2020)
- Navigating Public Health Crises for Individuals and Families Living with Tracheostomy: COVID-19 and Beyond (May 6, 2020)
- Thriving with a Tracheostomy in the Community (September 27, 2017)
- The Voice of Patients and Families in Tracheostomy Care (May 3, 2017)
- For other GTC Webinar Recordings, click here
Austin health tracheostomy publications/collaborations
Graham JM, Fisher CM, Cameron TS, Streader TG, Warrillow SJ, Chao C, Chong CK, Ellard L, Hamoline JL, McMurray KA, Phillips DJ. Emergency tracheostomy management cognitive aid. Anaesthesia and intensive care. 2021 Apr 22:0310057X21989722.
Ross, J. High Cervical Lesions. In: Reznik J, Simmons J, editors. Rehabilitation In Spinal Cord Injuries 1st edition. Elsevier Australia; 2021. p 348-371.
Zaga CJ, Pandian V, Brodsky MB, Wallace S, Cameron TS, Chao C, Orloff LA, Atkins NE, McGrath BA, Lazarus CL, Vogel AP. Speech-language pathology guidance for tracheostomy during the COVID-19 pandemic: an international multidisciplinary perspective. American journal of speech-language pathology. 2020 Aug 4;29(3):1320-34.
McGrath BA, Wallace S, Lynch J, Bonvento B, Coe B, Owen A, Firn M, Brenner MJ, Edwards E, Finch TL, Cameron T. Improving tracheostomy care in the United Kingdom: results of a guided quality improvement programme in 20 diverse hospitals. British journal of anaesthesia. 2020 Jul 1;125(1):e119-29.
Brenner MJ, Pandian V, Graham DA, Milliren CE, Zaga C, Morris LL, Bedwell JR, Das P, Zhu H, Allen JL, Peltz A. Global Tracheostomy Collaborative: data-driven improvements in patient safety through multidisciplinary teamwork, standardisation, education, and patient partnership. British journal of anaesthesia. 2020 May 23.
McGrath BA, Brenner MJ, Warrillow SJ, Pandian V, Arora A, Cameron TS, Añon JM, Martínez GH, Truog RD, Block SD, Lui GC. Tracheostomy in the COVID-19 era: global and multidisciplinary guidance. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2020 May 15.
Moorthy R. New Forward: Building the future; how implementation science is revolutionising tracheostomy care Proceedings from the 4th and 5th International Tracheostomy Symposiums.The Otorhinolaryngologist; VOLUME 13 ISSUE 1 2020
Zaga C, Ross J, Chong CK, Chao C, Atkins N, Campbell M, Sweeney J, Howard M, Cameron T. A multi- faceted tracheostomy decannulation pathway facilitates successful decannulation. Australian Critical Care. 2020 Jan 1;33:S44.
Ross J, McMurray K, Cameron T, Lanteri C. Use of a Silicon Stoma Stent as an Interim Step in High- Risk Tracheostomy Decannulation. OTO open. 2019 Mar;3(1):2473974X19836432.
Bedwell JR, Pandian V, Roberson DW, McGrath BA, Cameron TS, Brenner MJ. Multidisciplinary tracheostomy care: how collaboratives drive quality improvement. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2018 Oct 5;52(1):135-47.
Cameron TS, McKinstry A, Burt SK, Howard ME, Bellomo R, Brown DJ, Ross JM, Sweeney J
AUSTIN HEALTH PATIENT BLOGS AND MEDIA
- Stand on the Shoulder of Giants: An inspirational blog by Gerard Stevenson outlining his story after sustaining a spinal cord injury
- Mad Grit: Thriving with a tracheostomy: The story of Daisy’s brave journey. You can follow Daisy’s blog, Mad Grit
- The 5th International Tracheostomy Symposium: Read about patient stories that were shared at the 5th ITS
- Josh’s story: Read about Josh regaining his voice and connecting with his family during the COVID-19 pandemic and watch the
Channels 9 news story
- GTC newsletter June 2020: “Andrew Follows – In Memorium” (page 3)
- GTC Newsletter January 2019: Featuring Sally and Jenny Messer, Gabby Chessels and the TRAMS team Consumer Engagement Award
Other Useful Resources
Global Tracheostomy Collaborative
Advanced Care Planning Australia
National Tracheostomy Safety Project
Royal College of Nursing Australia
The Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand TSANZ
Speech Pathology Australia
Australian Physiotherapy Association
World Physiotherapy Congress
American Speech-Language- Hearing Association ASHA